The main job opportunity as a Petroleum Engineer is in Core Petroleum industries which involves the extraction and production of crude oil and processing and obtaining final products at refineries. There are number of Private as well as Government companies and refineries. One may apply for the post of an Engineer after graduation. Some big Petroleum Refineries in India are Reliance Refinery (Jamnagar), Essar (Jamnagar), Cochin Refinery etc. One may also become an Engineer in Government enterprises such as ONGC and OIL. Since many products used in fertilizers and cosmetics are obtained from petroleum so some Chemical Industries (especially Fertilizer and Plastics Industries) also deals with oil and petroleum to a large extent. One may also find job in such Chemical Factories.
One may find their dream job in global location companies like Schlumberger, Saudi Aramco, Maersk Oil, Shell, Whitting Petroleum, Mount Meru and others. These companies are amongst the leaders in the sector. If anyone is having interest in analysis area, then they may pursue their career in companies like CGI, Moblize, Global Data, and others.
Entrepreneurs are intelligent and innovative, driven by the desire to offer a unique product or service within a certain market. In the oil and gas industry, entrepreneurship has flourished and given us many of today’s important inventions and technologies. A few examples include the development of steam-assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) by Roger M. Butler beginning in the 1970s while employed at Imperial Oil in Canada; the use by companies such as ProSep of electrostatic grids to treat oil and water emulsions in treating trains; and the development of various artificial lift technologies including research on beam-pump slippage and gas lift valve performance.
Young graduates may find their career in setting up of own industries which deals with petroleum products, be it their marketing or supply. Masters in Oil & Gas Management is an excellent option for the engineers after graduation if they want to pursue their own business. Companies like Servo, Castrol, and etc. are major companies at present that deal in petroleum final products manufacturing. Downfall in the crude market allures graduates toward having their own firm offering services of final products like lubricating oil, grease oil, kerosene oil and etc.
Best Oil & Gas Business Ideas
- Go into filling station business
- Start an oil & gas servicing company
- Offer legal services in the oil & gas industry
- Start crude oil shipping company
- Start petroleum products haulage company
- Start own private petroleum refinery or refinery construction & servicing company
- Start an oil spillage cleaning company
- Start an oil & gas consultancy and advisory services
- Start an oil & gas TV program
- Start an oil & gas radio talk show
- Start blogging on oil & gas related issues
- Go into the publication of oil & gas magazine
- Start a lubricant production company
- Start own gas plant servicing company
- Invest in gas pipelines, oil & gas shares
- Start a diesel, aviation fuel, lubricating oil supply company
- Build & sale customized oil & gas software applications
- Start pipe laying & maintenance company
- Start retailing kerosene
- Start health & safety trainings for oil & gas workers
- Manufacturing and sale of oil & gas machines & equipment
- Start gas & petroleum pipeline security business
- Start a crude oil brokerage business