It is my pleasure and honor to welcome you to the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Roorkee College of Engineering, Roorkee. Mechanical Engineering has been traditionally thought of as a professional discipline, applying principles from engineering, physics in design and analysis, manufacturing of mechanical systems, and the associated transfer and flow of energies from one form to another.
We always intend to impart knowledge through a closed knit family of highly competent faculty. Our laboratories have been very well established not only to cover complete syllabus but also to motivate students to learn beyond the syllabus which definitely develops complete knowledge of the subject (both practical as well as theoretical aspects) and develop skill sets of students to become promising engineers in future.
I would like to conclude with the words of Thomas Friedman who rightly opined "World is flat, opportunities are immense. It’s just a question of identifying opportunities and making the best of them".
The Mechanical Engineering Department endeavors to be widely recognized for outstanding education and research leading to well qualified engineers, who are innovative, entrepreneurial and successful in advanced fields of mechanical engineering to cater the ever changing industrial demands and social needs.
The mission of the Mechanical Engineering Department is to educate and prepare students at both undergraduate and diploma levels for leadership roles in the fields of Mechanical Engineering and to conduct research for the benefit of the society. The Department endeavours to create an excellent teaching, learning environment which helps us to provide an opportunity to help Mechanical Engineering students to emerge as one of the best technocrats. These technocrats will be capable of analyzing interdisciplinary engineering problems to help our society by providing innovative solutions. They will become future leaders, entrepreneurs and researchers who are capable of adapting to the changing environment of engineering and technology across the globe.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
- To provide students with a sound foundation in the mathematical, scientific and engineering fundamentals necessary to formulate, solve and analyze engineering problems and to prepare them for graduate studies.
- To develop technical competency of students in applying broad, fundamental-based knowledge and up-to-date skills to perform professional work in mechanical engineering related disciplines.
- To develop the ability amongst students in applying comprehensive design methodology pertaining to mechanical engineering, incorporating the use of the economic, environmental and social impact of design.
- To provide opportunity for students to work as part of teams of various activities and multidisciplinary projects.
- To prepare students for successful careers in industry that meet the needs of Indian and multinational companies.
- To prepare students for advanced education, research and development, and other creative efforts in science and technology.
- To engage students in professional societies and to always apply human values in professional ethics.
Programme Outcomes (POs)
- To be able to understand scientific principles and apply them to the practice of engineering.
- To be able to interpret and use the language of engineering and express it effectively.
- To be able to apply the basic principles of manufacturing, design, thermal and industrial engineering in real time engineering problems.
- To be able to develop innovative and creative solutions to engineering problems.
- To be able to apply the innovative ideas to search for the optimal solution for engineering problems taken into consideration cost, safety, environment and other constraints.
- To be able to formulate, analyze, produce, test and evaluate an engineering product.
- To be able to use computers as a tool for solving engineering problems.
- To be able to develop technical base, necessary confidence and problem solving skills to grow continually throughout the career.
- To be able to communicate effectively.
- To be able to develop the spirit of team work.
- To be able to correlate engineering solutions and contemporary issues in a global and societal context.
- To be able to practice engineering with ethical standards and with a sense of responsibility to the profession and society.
- To be able to pursue higher studies, be industry ready and develop entrepreneurial skills.